Growing up in an Italian household I have many fond memories of helping my Nonna whip up some Chicken Schnitzel for the whole family as we came together for a Friday night dinner. Don’t know how she did it there was 19 of us! This recipe has been passed down to my mum, me, my mums siblings and cousins and now I will teach my kiddies and of course YOU!
Italian Chicken Schnitzel
An Italian favourite that can be eaten for lunch, dinner and even on a sandwich with tomato.
- 1kg of Chicken Breast – Sliced thinly (I usually slice it in 3 layers
- 2 cups of wholemeal breadcrumbs – you may need more
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- Secret ingredient > Sprinkle of garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- A splash of milk
- Salt and Pepper
- Slice your chicken breasts in thin layer and give them a little beating with a meat mallet – lets make these breasts tender. Season on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- Next up grab some bowls that you can use to make up your egg mixture and breadcrumb mixture
- Egg coating – beat 2 eggs up, add a splash of milk and some salt and pepper
- Bread coating – Mix in your bowl breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, parsley & salt and pepper
- Now you are ready to make your schnitzel
- Grab your chicken breast, dip it into the egg mixture followed by the breadcrumbs. Make sure you coat your chicken breasts all over and give a little pat on each side to make sure they stick. Repeat this step until all chicken is done.
- Let’s get cooking. Heat a pan with olive oil and cook for 3- 5 mins on each side till completely cooked. I usually have my oven sitting at 100 degrees celsius to keep them warm.
Vee’s Tips: Make enough for leftovers tastes delicious on a sandwich. Serve it with a salad or some steamed vegies and mash